Gift splitting

Asked over 2 years ago - Cape Coral, FL

are there any forms that have to be filed if i give $20,000 to our son, how does it become gift splitting, my wife does agrees???

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You and your wife can give $13,000 each to your son.
    Your $20,000 gift does not have to reported because it is less than $26,000.
    You can repeat this in January without reporting to the IRS.
    If you give more than $26,000-you can file the 709 gift tax return and elect to pay the tax or use up part of your lifetime exemption.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more
  2. Linscott Roberts Hanson

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The U.S. Gift Tax Return is called a form 709. I will provide a link to the form below.

    Lines 12 through 18 of the gift tax return form have to do with a spousal consent to have gifts to 3rd parties treated as if made half by each spouse. Line 18 is for the signature of the consenting spouse.

    Additionally, if both spouses are filing gift tax returns, the directions require that both returns be mailed in the same envelope.

    Its pretty simple, actually. You might still want to have an attorney or account assist in the preparation of the return.

    Answering your question on AVVO, does not create a lawyer-client relationship between us. Under the rules of the... more
  3. Kenneth Mac Bracewell Jr.

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There are several items of information I would need to know before appropriately responding to your question. I suggest that you either consult an attorney or qualified tax return preparer or research the matter further. If you choose to look into the issues yourself, start with the Instructions for Form 709 and IRS Publication 950. I have included the links to both resources below. Good luck!

  4. Steven J. Fromm

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Both attorney offer sound advice. But be careful here. If it was you who gave the $20,000 gift with your separate funds, then you must file a gift tax return, Form 709, and your wife must consent to gift splitting on such form. You should have a good tax accountant or tax attorney assist you.

    Hope this helps.

    Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,569 answers this week

3,084 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,569 answers this week

3,084 attorneys answering