Getting visa with past conviction

San Francisco, CA |

I am working in US in L1 visa and I have to apply new L1 Blanket. But in 2013 in which I was arrested with charges of petty theft . did not had any jail time but had to pay fine with no contest .

Is there any chance of getting visa ? please suggest if anyone has seen successful processing at Consulate after these charges?

If you qualify under the "one petty offense" exception, you have nothing to worry about.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

It qualifies, but Can Consulate officer deny for this conviction using discretion?

There is a petty offense rule in immigration that may apply to your conviction. Consult with an immigration attorney to determine if it applies and whether you have additional options.

Please note that this response is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration