Getting title of my car after divorce

Asked about 6 years ago - Texas

my ex-husband and i were divorced in 2003 in texas. we have both since remarried and both still live in texas. before we split up we purchased a car my ex's name being the primary mine being the secondary on the loan. in our divorce decree i got the car however both of our names remained on the car until it was paid off. once the car was paid off the bank sent the title to my ex because his name was the primary name on the loan. now he says he made three payments on the car (i never asked him to nor was i aware that he did!) and he will not send me the title unless i pay him for the three payments that he says he made! what can i do? please help!

Additional information

I haven't paid it off yet. I called the bank and they said as long as I have it stated in the divorce decree they will send it to me. It is not specifically stated in the divorce papers.And he will definetly not be cooperative in this situation.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Lu Ann Trevino


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Did he give any proof of those payments? Any of the things that you coud do would cost money. So compare the cost of the 3 payments to the cost of going back to court to get an order to force him to surrender the title. Make sure you get any agreement from in writing and try to arrange meeting him to exchange money and title at the same time.

  2. Theresa Cay Langford

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Does the decree award ownership to you, and was he ordered to convey title to the car? If so, you can file to enforce the decree.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,006 answers this week

2,686 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,006 answers this week

2,686 attorneys answering