Getting sued for a car accident?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Virginia Beach, VA

I just received a letter today saying that I was being notified of personal injury due to negligence of driving (I don't know anymore details since the letter is currently in California with my parents). I think the letter was called a statement of attourney letter or something? Anyways, on the letter it says that I should mail this letter to my insurance company, but I don't have insurance! I was using my friends car during the accident and now I am wondering if my friends insurance would cover this? If not, then would I end up paying out of my own pocket? Please help as I am really freaked out about this! I am in Virginia right now becuase I am in the military and my parents are all the way in California, so it might take a while to receive the letter when they mail it to me.

Additional information

I forgot to mention that I was just learning how to drive with a driver's permit, and my friend was the one who was teaching me how to drive, and I was using his car.

I forgot to ask one more question, is there a certain number of days that I have to mail the letter to them by?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Yvonne Theus Griffin


    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . If you had permission from the owner to use the car, you are what is known as a "permissive user". Under most insurance policies you will be covered. You need to be sure to forward the letter to your friend's insurance company as soon as possible.

  2. Christopher T Hill

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . Most auto policies cover permissive users, so if you had the owner's permission to use the car, the policy on the car should cover you. If your friend will not give you the insurance info, you (or an investigator or attorney) may be able to get that from the DMV. If you are covered, the insurer will have a duty to defend, and they'll hire an attorney if the case gets filed.

  3. Nima Taradji

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . If you were driving the vehicle with your friend in the car, then his insurance will cover the damages. Your parents should forward the paperwork they have received to your friend's insurance and let that insurance take care of it. Your friend may not appreciate you doing this--but if you did not have insurance, there is simply not much you can do. Unless you want to take care of the damages yourself-which make no sense.

    Call the attorneys who have sent you the letter, tell them you are in the military, tell them you do not have insurance, tell then you were driving your friends vehicle, tell then your friend was in the car with you at the time of the accident. Wasn't there a police report made? If so, the insurance information should already be reflected in the police report.

    I hope this helps-

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now