Getting sued for a car accident?

Virginia Beach, VA |

I just received a letter today saying that I was being notified of personal injury due to negligence of driving (I don't know anymore details since the letter is currently in California with my parents). I think the letter was called a statement of attourney letter or something? Anyways, on the letter it says that I should mail this letter to my insurance company, but I don't have insurance! I was using my friends car during the accident and now I am wondering if my friends insurance would cover this? If not, then would I end up paying out of my own pocket? Please help as I am really freaked out about this! I am in Virginia right now becuase I am in the military and my parents are all the way in California, so it might take a while to receive the letter when they mail it to me.

I forgot to mention that I was just learning how to drive with a driver's permit, and my friend was the one who was teaching me how to drive, and I was using his car. I forgot to ask one more question, is there a certain number of days that I have to mail the letter to them by?

Most auto policies cover permissive users, so if you had the owner's permission to use the car, the policy on the car should cover you. If your friend will not give you the insurance info, you (or an investigator or attorney) may be able to get that from the DMV. If you are covered, the insurer will have a duty to defend, and they'll hire an attorney if the case gets filed.

If you were driving the vehicle with your friend in the car, then his insurance will cover the damages. Your parents should forward the paperwork they have received to your friend's insurance and let that insurance take care of it. Your friend may not appreciate you doing this--but if you did not have insurance, there is simply not much you can do. Unless you want to take care of the damages yourself-which make no sense.

Call the attorneys who have sent you the letter, tell them you are in the military, tell them you do not have insurance, tell then you were driving your friends vehicle, tell then your friend was in the car with you at the time of the accident. Wasn't there a police report made? If so, the insurance information should already be reflected in the police report.

I hope this helps-

If you had permission from the owner to use the car, you are what is known as a "permissive user". Under most insurance policies you will be covered. You need to be sure to forward the letter to your friend's insurance company as soon as possible.