Getting Security Deposit back from Landlord, Proving "Bad Faith"?

North Hollywood, CA |
Filed under: Landlord-tenant law

On my way to suing my landlord who has made no contact (no refund, no damage notice, no receipts, no calls) more than 42 days now since I vacated the apartment. We've been constantly contacting the manager who does nothing.
They're going to claim they mailed it of course, but I have kept other items I received that were forwarded in a timely fashion from our old address. We took video of the apartment, did a walk through with the manager and still nothing. I sent my final demand letter Friday.
We were improperly charged 3x's rent before move-in. Also due overpaid rent.
This landlord bought the property during my tenancy. His name, LLC is not on the lease.
Do I sue the CURRENT LLC owner of the property?

How do I prove "bad faith"?

Anything else to counter his claims of mailing?

1. If it's owned by LLC, sue them both. The burden is on him to show that he did mail something. So dont worry too much about proving a negative. Remember you can claim 200% penalty above the actual deposit that wasn't returned.

Landlord-tenant law topics