Getting out of National Guard.

New York, NY |

I am 17 years old and I've joined national guard for six months now. I have been attending RSP drills and I get paid for them. I went to my recruiter telling him I want to quit. He told me to write a letter requesting to quit and explaining my reasons. In my letter, I wrote that I joined for college tuition assistance, but no longer need it. I also wrote that my mother used to have depression and she is relapsing ever since I joined. She used to see a psychiatrist for depression. My parents didn't allow me to join but I convinced them. I also went to the master sergeant and told him about the situation. He and my recruiter said they'll forward the letter to the next chain in command. I want to know if my reason is a legitimate one to get me out of the national guard, mainly about my mom?

1. These are reasons I have used for clients in the past. Whether you will get an approval is a different issue.

www.court-martial.com; www.court-martial.us.com; mljucmj@gmail.com 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

2. I agree that these reasons may get you out just understand the consequences. You may be barred from re enlistment. You will either get a general or uncharacterized discharge...

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.

3. Whether or not you are released from your commitment to the National Guard will be in large part up to your command. If you run into problems having your request approved feel free to give my office a call. The initial consultation is always free. Good luck.

4. You must consult legal counsel right away. Sometimes the easiest path out may have serious consequences that you have not yet considered--consequences that can impact your ability to get a job or reenlist. At 17 and with only 6 months of service, you should try to qualify for an entry level discharge, which is considered "uncharacterized" and will not affect your ability to find a job. But be careful. If you are in a hurry to get out and start waiving your rights and signing documents without competent legal counsel you can wind up with an unfavorable characterization of service.

Military law topics