Getting out of a Non-compete contract.

Asked over 4 years ago - West Springfield, MA

I was laid off a year ago from my employer. I had signed a 2yr non-compete/non-solicitation/non-disclosure contract with them. I guess what I would like to know is how would a judge view me going against this contract seems I was Laid off. A person does have to make a living. I would understand if I had left the company or if they had fired me that the contract would be seem fair. This to me does not seem right at all.

1. William T Harrington

Answered . First, do you think your former employer would go after you? How directly would you be competing with the former emploer? Did the emploer pay you serverance? And, if so, for how long. It is tough to predict whether a court will enforce a noncompete, but there is a strong public policy that you cannot be prohibited from earning a living.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now