Getting my wife a green card with no job

Asked about 1 year ago - Union City, CA

hi, i am a us citizen. I currently lived oversea at 2007 and I have NOT found a job since then. Therefore, I didnt file any federal and state income tax. however, i wanted to get my wife a green card.

Since i have no tax filing, is it possible for me to sponsor her? can i purely sponsor her base on my asset (with no income)?

1. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

1

Answered . More information is needed. You might meet sponsorship requirements otherwise, so be sure to speak to an experienced attorney.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

Answered . The best approach would be a confidential consultation with an attorney regarding filing taxes, the current value of assets, whether a co-sponsor is available, etc.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . Yes, if you have a huge amount of liquid assets, you can sponsor her.

Otherwise, you may need a co-sponsor.

Talk to an attorney to get good, private and confidential information.

4. Katja Anneli Charlotta Hedding

Pro

Answered . Yes, you are eligible to petition for your wife. You may use your assets for sponsoring her, but the assets have to be worth a lot. You should be looking into the option of finding a joint sponsor.

5. Renee M. Dagher

Answered . Yes, you can petition for your wife if you are a U.S. citizen. You will need a co-sponsor during the immigrant visa portion of the process because you have not filed U.S. tax returns. As you are overseas and have not been living in the U.S. I recommend that you hire an immigration attorney to assist you as there will be questions about your residence (domicile) in the U.S., U.S. lack of tax filings and also a joint sponsor needed. These can all be dealt with but are best handled through an attorney.