Getting my wife a green card with no job

Asked about 1 year ago - Union City, CA

hi, i am a us citizen. I currently lived oversea at 2007 and I have NOT found a job since then. Therefore, I didnt file any federal and state income tax. however, i wanted to get my wife a green card.

Since i have no tax filing, is it possible for me to sponsor her? can i purely sponsor her base on my asset (with no income)?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . More information is needed. You might meet sponsorship requirements otherwise, so be sure to speak to an experienced attorney.

    Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-... more
  2. Answered . The best approach would be a confidential consultation with an attorney regarding filing taxes, the current value of assets, whether a co-sponsor is available, etc.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, if you have a huge amount of liquid assets, you can sponsor her.

    Otherwise, you may need a co-sponsor.

    Talk to an attorney to get good, private and confidential information.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  4. Answered . Yes, you are eligible to petition for your wife. You may use your assets for sponsoring her, but the assets have to be worth a lot. You should be looking into the option of finding a joint sponsor.

  5. Answered . Yes, you can petition for your wife if you are a U.S. citizen. You will need a co-sponsor during the immigrant visa portion of the process because you have not filed U.S. tax returns. As you are overseas and have not been living in the U.S. I recommend that you hire an immigration attorney to assist you as there will be questions about your residence (domicile) in the U.S., U.S. lack of tax filings and also a joint sponsor needed. These can all be dealt with but are best handled through an attorney.

    The information contained in this site is for general guidance on matters of interest only. The application and... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,356 answers this week

3,958 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,356 answers this week

3,958 attorneys answering