Getting my wife a green card with no job

Union City, CA |

hi, i am a us citizen. I currently lived oversea at 2007 and I have NOT found a job since then. Therefore, I didnt file any federal and state income tax. however, i wanted to get my wife a green card.

Since i have no tax filing, is it possible for me to sponsor her? can i purely sponsor her base on my asset (with no income)?

1. Yes, if you have a huge amount of liquid assets, you can sponsor her.

Otherwise, you may need a co-sponsor.

Talk to an attorney to get good, private and confidential information.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

2. More information is needed. You might meet sponsorship requirements otherwise, so be sure to speak to an experienced attorney.

Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

3. Yes, you are eligible to petition for your wife. You may use your assets for sponsoring her, but the assets have to be worth a lot. You should be looking into the option of finding a joint sponsor.

4. Yes, you can petition for your wife if you are a U.S. citizen. You will need a co-sponsor during the immigrant visa portion of the process because you have not filed U.S. tax returns. As you are overseas and have not been living in the U.S. I recommend that you hire an immigration attorney to assist you as there will be questions about your residence (domicile) in the U.S., U.S. lack of tax filings and also a joint sponsor needed. These can all be dealt with but are best handled through an attorney.

The information contained in this site is for general guidance on matters of interest only. The application and impact of laws can vary widely based on the specific facts involved. Given the changing nature of laws, rules and regulations, and the inherent hazards of electronic communication, there may be delays, omissions or inaccuracies in information contained in this site. Accordingly, the information on this site is provided with the understanding that the authors and publishers are not herein engaged in rendering legal, accounting, tax, or other professional advice and services. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional accounting, tax, legal or other competent advisers. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult the appropriate professional. While we have made every attempt to ensure that the information contained in this site has been obtained from reliable sources, Renee Dagher, is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. All information in this site is provided "as is", with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness or of the results obtained from the use of this information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event will PwC, its related partnerships or corporations, or the partners, agents or employees thereof be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken in reliance on the information in this Site or for any consequential, special or similar damages, even if advised of the possibility of such damages. Certain links in this site connect to other websites maintained by third parties over whom Renee Dagher has no control. Renee Dagher makes no representations as to the accuracy or any other aspect of information contained in other websites.

5. The best approach would be a confidential consultation with an attorney regarding filing taxes, the current value of assets, whether a co-sponsor is available, etc.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. You are encouraged to seek independent and private counseling for a complete review of your case.