Skip to main content

Getting medical examination before officially filing for I-485 ( getting married to US citizen in about 3 months )

Rockville, MD |

J-1 visa holder got enganged to US citizen about a month ago, visa expires March20,2012. Wedding date is set for March 15. I am already looking into all this paper work and would like to have my immigration papers ready to send them out on March 16. I know the medical examination is good for 12 months. Can i make an appoinment for in like 2 weeks, even though i am not married yet ?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Yes, you can go ahead and schedule the medical exam even though you are not yet married. I encourage you and your future spouse to set an appointment with an immigration lawyer to learn more about the process and timing involved in applying for your "green card". See the link to the American Immigration Lawyers Association below.

  2. Whoops, the link is below.

  3. Yes, you can have the medical exam done even before you are married.

  4. Yes you can. An issue that I see is whether or not your J is subject to 212(e). If it is, then you have to obtain the required waiver before you apply to adjust status and not concurrently.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics