Getting medical examination before officially filing for I-485 ( getting married to US citizen in about 3 months )

Rockville, MD |

J-1 visa holder got enganged to US citizen about a month ago, visa expires March20,2012. Wedding date is set for March 15. I am already looking into all this paper work and would like to have my immigration papers ready to send them out on March 16. I know the medical examination is good for 12 months. Can i make an appoinment for in like 2 weeks, even though i am not married yet ?

Yes, you can go ahead and schedule the medical exam even though you are not yet married. I encourage you and your future spouse to set an appointment with an immigration lawyer to learn more about the process and timing involved in applying for your "green card". See the link to the American Immigration Lawyers Association below.

Whoops, the link is below.

THANK YOU!!!

David Eli Larson

David Eli Larson

To view this email as a web page, go here. <http://click.mail5.avvo.com/?qs=7f49eaf129aa6773c362696355d9cbb11becfd2 e099acdcf9393b4687a8622c4cf4eb12f6b49bb11> <http://click.mail5.avvo.com/open.aspx?ffcb10-ff2d17767763-fe29157171670 c7b751d76-fe951570706d077b77-ff951579-fe5917797363077f7017-feff157771600 4> Best wishes for a long and happy marriage. David E. Larson Altick & Corwin Co., L.P.A. 1590 Fifth Third Center One South Main Street Dayton, Ohio 45402-2206 Phone; 937-223-1201 Fax: 937-223-5100 ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED: DO NOT FORWARD WITHOUT PERMISSION. This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication may contain material protected by the attorney-client privilege or other applicable privilege. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify ALTICK & CORWIN CO., L.P.A., by return e-mail to helpdesk@altickcorwin.com. After proper notification, you must permanently dispose of this email and all associated attachments. IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: To ensure compliance with new requirements of the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that, to the extent any advice relating to a Federal tax issue is contained in this communication, including in any attachments, it was not written or intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (a) avoiding any tax related penalties that may be imposed on you or any other person under the Internal Revenue Code, or (b) promoting, marketing or recommending to another person any transaction or matter addressed in this communication. PLEASE BE NOTIFIED THAT OUR ORDINARY LETTERS AND E-MAILS TO YOU ARE NOT INTENDED TO MEET THE "COVERED OPINION" TEST. If you seek materials that do meet this test and thus may be relied upon for preventing federal tax penalties, please feel free to specifically request them.

Yes, you can have the medical exam done even before you are married.

Yes you can. An issue that I see is whether or not your J is subject to 212(e). If it is, then you have to obtain the required waiver before you apply to adjust status and not concurrently.

David Eli Larson

David Eli Larson

Phil is right. Make sure you are not subject to a two year home country residence requirement before you get the medical exam. Otherwise you may waste the money spent on the medical exam.