Getting Green Card through marriage after PERM process has already been completed by employer

Mooresville, NC |

My employer applied for my Green Card and is in the PERM process. I will be getting married to a US Citizen next year, by which time the PERM process may have completed or nearing completion. Can I simply change my GC process to filing through marriage after that? I understand that the fees and forms associated with that process are different than if filed by employer. What are the pros and cons of doing so?

If you are trying to save on I-485 fees, no.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

This is a tactical decision. Will the marriage based green card be approved before the I-140 is approved and priority date is current? If your marriage is less than two years old at the time the benefit is granted, your green card will come with conditions that you'll need to remove two years later. This doesn't happen with the employment based card. Will your employer pay the fees for the marriage based card if they are less than the employment based fees? I suggest you retain counsel and discuss.

Too many variables to address through Avvo.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

if you obtain residence through marriage and the marriage is less than two years in existence at the time you will receive conditional residence and will need to file a separate application to have the condition removed two years later. The residence through the employer does not have the condition attached.

You will be well served to have a consultation with an immigration attorney as your wedding day draws near to assess the prognosis of the resident status through employment versus through the marriage.

Recommended articles about Employment