GETTING GREEN CARD THROUGH ADOPTION

Tacoma, WA |

My friend got green card through adoption when she turns 30, single.
An American lady who is sick and adopt my friend to take care of her.
I did some research but not much talking about this topic.
What type of adoption is that? And How does it work?
Thanks

In order to obtain a green card based on adoption, the adoption must be final before the child turns 16 years old. Perhaps she got it based on employment as the caregiver. You can never know someone else's case the people often think they do.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.

can you please tell me a little bit more about "based on employment as the caregiver"? thanks

Barbara A Marcouiller

Barbara A Marcouiller

That is way too huge a question for this forum, and I don't go labor certs. Maybe this other person doesn't think it's your concern

Why don't you question your "friend" a little bit more closely and ask to see a copy of her adoption and immigrant petition and visa application?

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

well, she is friend of my friend. And my friend told her story which she doesn't like much people know about it. of course, I can't ask her straight forward about her petition. that's why I ask in Avvo:)

In order to immigrate an adopted child, the adoption must take place before the child's 16th birthday.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.