Getting government help to avoid forclosure

Asked almost 3 years ago - Renton, WA

I am behind in my payments and worry about forclosure . When I set my mortgage up I could afford the payments 5 years ago . Since then my paycheck has dwindled and I have a hard time making the payments . So my wife decided to not make the payments for a few months hoping things would change . Well they haven't and when we contacted our mortgage company they said gee that's too bad and we don't have to help . So they offered us a short sale or mail in the keys . We were wondering if anybody knows any government programs to help us . My wifes family has offered to help catch us up but after that could be done to lower the payments ? We talked to the company once about lowering payment and were told hey we don't have to since we dindn't take any government money for help .

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Elizabeth Rankin Powell

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Look up the State Bar at - they have set up a project in conjunction with NW Justice to link homeowners with volunteer lawyers who can help you sort out your options and make decisions based on knowledge. This is not an income based program. They will help you and it will not cost you anything.

    The lenders say one thing, and do another. It is very frustrating. A short sale or a deed in lieu are two of your options, but they certainly are not your only options. Did your lender tell you that mediation is now mandatory in WA? I doubt it. The point is to get someone with authority to the table to negotiate in good faith. It can work. But you need your own lawyer to negotiate effectively.

    I hope this is a useful link for you - Elizabeth Powell

    Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.
  2. John Gerth Merna


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You should check into to Making Homes Affordable program to see if you qualify. But do not be blinded from seeing the larger picture. If you purchased the house 5 years ago, the home value has undoubtedly plummeted through the worst years of the recession/depression we are experiencing. Your income has taken taken a similar drop. Assuming you have a 30-year mortgage, the question to ask yourself is whether it is a good idea to struggle with the home given your current circumstances. Consider closely whether borrowing and dragging relatives into your financial pit is wise. Talk to a bankruptcy attorney to get a another perspective on your situation.

    This answer in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. The answer is not a complete answer and requires... more
  3. Gary D. Bollinger

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Check assessor or other online sites to determine estimated value of the property; subtract your payoff to see if you are "underwater", & consider your next move.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,834 answers this week

3,142 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,834 answers this week

3,142 attorneys answering