Getting divorce with someone who has a conditional green card. Is she entitled to anything?

Asked about 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

Married for less than 2 years. She did receive a conditional green card. Is she entitled to anything?

Is she entitled to any alimony??

1. Nicolas Andres Olano

Pro

5

Answered . Yes. She may apply for a waiver based on bonafide marriage. She has to prove that the marriage was entered into in good faith.

2. Emel Ersan

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . I think you are referring to alimony and property when you say " can she get anything". With such a short marriage, she can only get half of what you accumalated during the marriage. But probably no alimony unless she is destitute. Immigration wise, she can get her permanent green card once she proves that your marriage was real etc. Contact a lawyer though.

This is only a short advice- you should not file anything without getting the full facts from a lawyer.
  3. Veronica Tunitsky

4

Answered . She can certainly apply to remove the conditions on her green card by showing good faith marriage that ended in divorce. Is that to what you're referring?

4. Deborah Lynne Karapetian

4

Answered . She can keep the card under certain circumstances.

5. Patrick Caston Crowley

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. She can file to remove the conditions based upon the following grounds. 1. Good faith marriage that ended in divorce; 2. The United States Citizen's death; 3. Abuse by the United States Citizen; 4. If the lose of her status would create extreme hardship. Without anymore all I can give you is the categories.

6. John Arthur Smitten

1

Answered . She gets half the marital assets and probably alimony since you are her financial sponsor. Contact my office for free consultation.