Getting Divorce before citizenship

Asked over 4 years ago - Atlanta, GA

Is there anyway i can get a divorce before my citizenship. I got my green card by married a US citizen, but now the married doesn't work out and i want to get a divorce, i can apply for the citizenship in 3 months ( per 90 days before date) Does this going to effect my citizenship application? Is there anything else i can do? or do i have to wait till the time. Right now we are separated but not legally

1. Melanie Ann Brubaker

Pro

Answered . The short answer: If you are a resident of the State of Georgia for at least 6 months, you can file for a divorce in Georgia. The status of your citizenship is between you and the INS. Hope this helps and Good Luck!

2. Christopher T. Anderson

Answered . I see the answer that was posted, but I think your question is more concerned with whether a divorce will impact your citizenship application. While you can get divorced, it may indeed have adverse impact on your application. You will want to address this question to an immigration attorney before taking any action.

3. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . As long as you have resided in the state for 6 months, you can file for divorce.

While I can answer the divorce end of things I am not an immigration lawyer, and you should ask one to see what effect it may have on that.