Getting a will after a death from an attorney

Newark, DE |

I have called the attorney several times for 3 days and he won't return my calls. My father is in the morgue and I can't move his body until I know his wishes.

Oh no. I recommend that you go to the attorney's office in person if possible. If that's not possible, I would be more persistent - call and demand to know a schedule and a cell phone number to reach the attorney, send very urgent emails, etc.

However, not all estate planning attorneys keep copies of wills - are you sure that your father's attorney kept his will? If I were you, I recommend you also search through his belongings or personal papers to find the will. You may also wish to hire an attorney to assist you - you will probably want to hire an attorney to help with probate anyway. Good luck!

I am sorry for your loss. Ms. White is correct. Stand on the lawyer's doorstep if need be. But as she notes, he might not have a copy. Maybe dad had a safety deposit box?

Both counsel are correct. I suggest you contact an independent probate attorney to contact the attorney holding the will to see if this leads to production of a will or at least having it lodged with the probate court for you to review.

Wills and estates topics