Getting a will after a death from an attorney

Asked about 1 year ago - Newark, DE

I have called the attorney several times for 3 days and he won't return my calls. My father is in the morgue and I can't move his body until I know his wishes.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Sarah Faith White

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Oh no. I recommend that you go to the attorney's office in person if possible. If that's not possible, I would be more persistent - call and demand to know a schedule and a cell phone number to reach the attorney, send very urgent emails, etc.

    However, not all estate planning attorneys keep copies of wills - are you sure that your father's attorney kept his will? If I were you, I recommend you also search through his belongings or personal papers to find the will. You may also wish to hire an attorney to assist you - you will probably want to hire an attorney to help with probate anyway. Good luck!

  2. William Emil Cassara


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am sorry for your loss. Ms. White is correct. Stand on the lawyer's doorstep if need be. But as she notes, he might not have a copy. Maybe dad had a safety deposit box?

  3. Adam S. Bernick

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Both counsel are correct. I suggest you contact an independent probate attorney to contact the attorney holding the will to see if this leads to production of a will or at least having it lodged with the probate court for you to review.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,209 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,209 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary