Getting a third citizenship, while having a green card?

Asked over 1 year ago - Winona, MN

I am from country A and have been living in country B for many years. I just got my green card though the lottery. In a few months can apply for citizenship in country B. If I do that, how does that affect my green card status in the US?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Gintare Grigaite

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Quite impossible answering your question without knowing what countries A and B are. You will better be served by arranging a formal consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer. Generally speaking, if you do not intend to make US your permanent home, and live here, then you will not be able to maintain your green card status.

    Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Get all 65 of them. Start a collection if you want. From US standpoint it has no affect on your GC unless you got it through asylum.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  3. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are an LPR in the U.S., you cannot have that stripped from you unless an immigration judge orders you removed from the U.S. Having additional countries of citizenship does not usually impact your U.S. LPR status unless you are traveling abroad alot and causing the CBP to reason you've abandoned your LPR status here.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,101 answers this week

2,370 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,101 answers this week

2,370 attorneys answering