Get US citizenship for my son

Asked over 1 year ago - Belgium, WI

I'm an US citizen living in Belgium. I have an 3 years old son with my girlfriend (not married and don't want to). I want get the US citizenship to both of them if possible or at least citizenship for my son and green card for my girlfriend. How is this possible ? Thanks C├ędric

1. Stuart D.P. Gilgannon

Pro

5

Answered . There are a couple of different ways you can go about documenting your son's US citizenship, assuming you meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship. You can either apply for a US passport for him, or obtain a registration of birth with the US Embassy in Belgium. More information is available here:

http://belgium.usembassy.gov/birth-registration...

For your girlfriend, as my colleagues have stated, you would have to be married before you can petition her for permanent residence. Also, as the name suggests, permanent residence is something she should consider if she actually intends on moving with you to the United States., rather than just visiting occassionally.

414-758-5245 * www.gilgannonlaw.com * stuart@gilgannonlaw.com
  2. Gintare Grigaite

5

Answered . Cedric, yes, you may do so, provided you get married to your girlfriend. Contact experienced immigration attorney to assist you with the process.

3. Irene Vaisman

4

Answered . you have to be married

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  4. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . REgarding your girlfriend, you cannot file any applications for her if you are not married and do not intend to get married. Regarding the child, there must be an acknolwedgment of paternity in writing and under oath, or paternity must be established by a court. You can apply for a passport for the child at a U.S. embassy and they will let you know what you need to submit.