Skip to main content

Get rid of false rape accusation

Fort Myers, FL |

I've recently been falsely accused of a rape from 4 years ago(I'm in FL). This was placed forth in a temporary injunction by an ex girlfriend to satisfy the requirements in the order as she had no other incidents to draw on. In my hearing the judge dismissed the injunction due to insufficient evidence. Now what remains in this situation is the rape accusation which to my knowledge the police are still investigating. Will submitting a statement get them to cancel the investigation? Is it just better to say nothing to them? I have an affidavit from the injunction hearing which covers so of this issue. Should I use that as my statement?

Attorney Answers 4


Man, listen really carefully to what I am going to tell you. I do not think that any other attorney will disagree with what I am going to tell you. SAY NOTHING FURTHER. Not to anyone but a good defense lawyer. I don't care if it's me; I don't care if it's someone else, just get an attorney immediately. Stay off message boards. Stay off social networking sites. Do not talk to your friends about it. Don't reply further here other than to perhaps use AVVO's link to set up phone conferences with attorneys with who you would like to confer.
The testimony provided at the injunction hearing may provide you with a means of establishing a defense of collateral estoppel, which is an absolute defense. Actually it is what is known as an avoidance, but that doesn't matter right now. A little research and close look at what was said and in what respect will probably yield an easy answer. Unfortunately, I don't think that is happening but nonetheless you will probably have tremendous material for impeachment if necessary and the attorney you decide to hire can take that transcript to the State's Attorney's Office in an effort to dissuade them from filing charges at all.

We are pleased to offer a free thirty (30) minute initial telephone consultation, or, if possible, will attempt to schedule a free thirty (30) minute initial office consultation. Neither this offer of a free initial consultation, nor the mere fact that the initial consultation may have ultimately been conducted, whether telephonically or at our office location, should be construed; assumed; interpreted; or understood by any individual who was granted a free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort whatsoever was tendered, to have formed or created an attorney-client relationship, or to have created any obligations owed by the attorney or attorney's firm to any individual who was given a free initial consultation, by the mere undertaking of the free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort was tendered to attorney or attorney's firm. The formation of an attorney-client relationship occurs through the process of negotiation between the prospective parties, the individual seeking legal representation, and the attorney, acting individually, or as an agent of a firm (the capacity in which the attorney is acting shall be disclosed to prospective client, if negotiations for legal representation in exchange for good and valuable consideration are undertaken by the prospective client and the attorney. If agreement is reached by and between the parties for legal representation after the mutually satisfactory negotiation of the agreement for legal representation, and all of its individual terms; the scope of representation to be provided by the attorney to the prospective client has been delineated to the mutual satisfaction of the parties; the manner of payment of good and valuable consideration by the prospective client to the attorney has been determined; and it has been conceded by the parties that all of those factors upon which agreement had been reached by the parties and which were recited herein, had been agreed upon by the parties only after careful consideration and sufficient review of the document styled Agreement for Legal Representation, and after it has likewise been conceded by the parties that each respectively had been presented with the opportunity to have the document reviewed independently by each respective party's personal attorney, or any other attorney of his or her chooosing. If the Agreement for Legal Representation contains terms regarding contingency fee agreement or agreements for payment to the attorney for all or a portion of his or her services and legal representation on behalf of the Client, Client concedes that he or she has been presented with an additional document entitled "Statement of Client's Rights", which is a document created by the Florida Bar and approved for use in matters in which payment in full or part, is tendered by contingency fee agreement. Please note that any commentary or response offered through this site is based on the limited set of facts and background data supplied by the individual framing the question and would in all likelihood require more investigation before a complete response could properly be framed to thoroughly answer the question posed. No attorney-client relationship is, or should be presumed to be, formed through the comments or responses provided to the individual posing the question, as a courtesy, here, through this forum, nor should any other duties or obligations be construed; assumed; or otherwise be inferred to exist and/or owed to the individual who posed the question by the attorney who provided the best guidance possible to said individual under the circumstances presented as they were, including the unreasonable assumption that a full and thorough legal analysis of an individual's situation could be formulated simply based on the minute portion of the entirety of the facts and circumstances surrounding any legal matter, which could in no manner possibly be presented here in such a form which would allow for a thorough analysis, evaluation, or legal opinion to be formed by the Attorney.

Mark as helpful

13 lawyers agree


I agree with Mr. Dohner 100%. There is nothing that you can do to improve your situation, other than hiring an attorney. There are many things that you can do to harm your situation, such as communicating with the police and sharing details on a message board.

Mark as helpful

14 lawyers agree


Both are right. Do not say another word, type another word about this incident unless it is to your lawyer. Find a lawyer in your area who handles these type of cases immediately.

Mark as helpful

11 lawyers agree


I agree with the other opinions. Say nothing and hire a lawyer. My office has been hired by clients during investigations prior to any arrest. This can help alot.

The answer to any question is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Call today if you would like a free initial consultation.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics