Skip to main content

Get deferred comp and non-qualified payout early?

Irvine, CA |

Before I retired I selected a 10-year payout for my deferred comp and non-qualified pension plan. I am in my 6th year. Is there any way that I can accelerate he payout and get the remaining money?

I heard something that said that you needed to affirm your selection of payment period within a 3 month period of retiring. My records show that this was done about 6 months before I retired.

Attorney Answers 1


What is controlling for you is your actual contracts. The only way to know is to reread them and see if they provide you that option. If not you must continue the payouts as required.
Get the contracts and meet with an employee benefits attorney to discuss this matter in more detail. Anything less is pure speculation.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is listed below.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Mark as helpful