Skip to main content

Georgia First Offender (felony theft) - future employment

Atlanta, GA |

I am 3 months away from completing myGA 1st Offender probation for a felony theft incident. I have a few questions on what to expect going forward as I am about to go back to college (I'm 30) in August.
1. What will show up on an employment background check when I look for work? Will I be restricted in any way once I complete the probation?
2. Are there any majors/careers to steer clear of?
3. Will I be better off seeking employment outside of the state of Ga bc there may be less chance of this turning up on a background check in another state? Or am I better off staying in Ga?

Attorney Answers 2


The law will be changing soon to bennifit you, please refer to Georgia House Bill 1176 sentence reform act. You'll be able to get a lot of instruction as to what law enforcement can and can't do.

Mark as helpful


HB-1176 will help folks to some degree who are sentenced in the future, but will not benefit you much as a First offender. First understand this: the state, your probation officer or no one else is going to lift a finger to make any thing happen automatically. Your attorney will need to go back into court and have the sentencing judge sign certain orders terminating your probation and ordering the appropriate action with respect to your criminal record. Understand also that law enforcement will always have access to your record, so applications with these agencies are exceptions. With respect to questions 2 and 3, I would give the same advice to anyone, do what you love, don't waste your life just working for money. If you love it you will likely become very good and successful at it. Good luck!

I am an attorney, practicing throughout the state of Georgia, but primarily in the areas around Augusta, Statesboro and Savannah, Georgia. You may review more information about my practice by going to: The information I am providing you should only be considered for your general knowledge and educational purposes. Consider it as a good first step in your knowledge acquisition, but not as legal advice. Indeed, any information I provide is based on the extremely limited facts you have provided and new facts could substantially alter any answer or reply. My opinion should be understood to apply only to the laws of the State of Georgia. You should always consult with a local attorney about your situation if you live outside of the State of Georgia.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics