General workmans comp question

Asked over 2 years ago - Madison Heights, MI

what are some reasons workmans comp or why does workmans comp offer you a cash settlement ? I thought you could not sue your enployer? I mean i got hurt at my job and im on light duty for alot of injurys to my left side of my body.. just curious why the offer a cash settlement.. any ideas and is it likely they will offer a cash settlement. thanks you lawyers are the best..be safe

1. Robert J. Ehrenberg

1

1

Answered . Worker's compensation is payable for benefits related to your work injury while you are unable to work and need treatment and rehabilitation. Often, employers and the insurance company hope to limit the future exposure to pay benefits by offering a settlement/redemption that releases further obligation to pay benefits. Consider getting an evaluation of your claim from an worker's compensation attorney in your area.

2. Matthew Decker Trollinger

Answered . They may be offering you a settlement for multiple reasons including:

closing out possible medical benefits you may be eligible for,
    minimizing their exposure for future injuries caused by this incident,
    offering a lump sum or full and final so that they may escape an award of permanent impairment.

It is best to meet with an attorney in your area regarding your injuries because you may be entitled to medical treatment, lost wages, reimbursement of mileage and/or prescriptions and out of pocket expenses as well as an award of compensation due to permanent impairment.