General partnership search question

San Luis Obispo, CA |

Is there someplace on the Sacramento Secretary of State website to check for general partnerships?
So far I can only find a place to search for corporations.

Part of the problem is that ptsh’s don’t need to file anything to become a ptsh. Filing of a Statement of Partnership Authority (GP-1) is optional; it can be filed with the SoS or the county clerk. Corp Code 16303. It need not be filed to have a valid ptsh, unlike a corp or LLC. I wasn’t able to find any way to search for them in SoS’s office, but I found a possibility: Go to:
    http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/be/information-requests.htm
    If you have the name of a partnership entity, you could try entering it on this page.

DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. The answer could be different if all the facts were known. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. I am admitted only in California. (Bryant) Keith Martin sbbizlaw.com

2. General partnerships do not have limited liability for the partners, so they do not need to be registered with the State to exist.

www.bayoaklaw.com. 510-208-5500. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is not legal advice, because it is only of a general nature. Please contact a lawyer qualified in your jurisdiction to discuss your situation in confidence, using your factual details. Avvo answers are only general legal responses. Item 9 of Avvo.com's Terms and Conditions are incorporated in this disclaimer as though it were printed here.

3. I agree with my colleagues. The secretary of state does nt maintain records regarding general partnerships.

This advice does not constitute or form an attorney client relationship and is meant as general reference as this attorney is licensed in the State of California only.

Business topics