General partnership search question

Is there someplace on the Sacramento Secretary of State website to check for general partnerships? So far I can only find a place to search for corporations.

San Luis Obispo, CA -

Find Out More

Attorney Answers (3)

Bryant Keith Martin

Bryant Keith Martin

Business Attorney - Santa Barbara, CA

Part of the problem is that ptsh’s don’t need to file anything to become a ptsh. Filing of a Statement of Partnership Authority (GP-1) is optional; it can be filed with the SoS or the county clerk. Corp Code 16303. It need not be filed to have a valid ptsh, unlike a corp or LLC. I wasn’t able to find any way to search for them in SoS’s office, but I found a possibility: Go to:
If you have the name of a partnership entity, you could try entering it on this page.

DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is... more
Andrew Kevin Jacobson

Andrew Kevin Jacobson

Business Attorney - Oakland, CA

General partnerships do not have limited liability for the partners, so they do not need to be registered with the State to exist. 510-208-5500. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is not legal... more
Anthony Elias Kalikas

Anthony Elias Kalikas

Business Attorney - San Diego, CA

I agree with my colleagues. The secretary of state does nt maintain records regarding general partnerships.

This advice does not constitute or form an attorney client relationship and is meant as general reference as this... more

Related Topics


Business law covers topics such as business structures, common documents, business taxes and finances, insurance, real estate, and government regulations.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.