General partnership search question

Asked over 2 years ago - San Luis Obispo, CA

Is there someplace on the Sacramento Secretary of State website to check for general partnerships?
So far I can only find a place to search for corporations.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Bryant Keith Martin

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Part of the problem is that ptsh’s don’t need to file anything to become a ptsh. Filing of a Statement of Partnership Authority (GP-1) is optional; it can be filed with the SoS or the county clerk. Corp Code 16303. It need not be filed to have a valid ptsh, unlike a corp or LLC. I wasn’t able to find any way to search for them in SoS’s office, but I found a possibility: Go to:
    If you have the name of a partnership entity, you could try entering it on this page.

    DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is... more
  2. Andrew Kevin Jacobson


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . General partnerships do not have limited liability for the partners, so they do not need to be registered with the State to exist. 510-208-5500. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is not legal... more
  3. Anthony Elias Kalikas

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. The secretary of state does nt maintain records regarding general partnerships.

    This advice does not constitute or form an attorney client relationship and is meant as general reference as this... more

Related Topics

Small business partnerships

A business partnership is an arrangement whereby parties enter an agreement to cooperate for their mutual benefit.


Business law covers topics such as business structures, common documents, business taxes and finances, insurance, real estate, and government regulations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,884 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,884 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering