GEICO lies about your case and will settle with the other party even if you don't agree with the terms of the settlement.

New York, NY |

Geico will not tell you up front that they are afraid to go to court. They will tell you that they are going to protect you and act in your best interest. If some driver decides they want to try to sue you and they are at fault Geico will screw you in the end. Sure GEICO will hire a lawyer(for you) but it's really for them because they will settle your case whether you approve or not and Geico will not tell you of the dirty deed they have done with the other party until after they have done it. Its as if you never even had a lawyer. Geico only cares about Geico. They will pay out to someone else even if you are NOT at fault making it seem that you are at fault. Geico is a SCREW JOB and you should avoid Geico Auto Ins. they are not truthful and should NOT be trusted.

1. Geico is big company and they are in business to make money. They are no worse than most other insurance companies. Auto insurance policies don't give the insured the right to refuse to settle. I don't understand what you are so angry about, frankly. By settling the case, Geico protected you from a possible personal liability. They would not have settled it if they did not believe you were at some risk to lose. They don't make money settling claims. Therefore they only settle claims when they think they have to, and they don't pay more than they need to.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

2. I agree with Mr. Brophy and, even if your position was correct, this is not the forum to post such opinions.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change appropriately.

3. I take it you are not happy Geico settled - I assume you got hit with a higher premium or assessment because Geico determined you were at fault.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. Law suits are no fun. They may have done you a favor . In any case your contract with them no doubt allowed them to do this. don't slander them.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

5. Auto insurance companies do not give their insured the right to have any input on settlement. They can settle with or without your consent. I know you are upset, but they may have done you a favor. You get to avoid all the hassle of being a defendant in a lawsuit and your personal assets are likely protected by the settlement.