Gc holder married to f1

Asked over 2 years ago - Reseda, CA

i m gc holder at 4 y and 11 mos i just applied for citizenship and my fiancee is student visa should i marry before i got citizen or after ,,we are planning to do register marriage in usa on first week of may so what should we do

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

12

Answered . When to marry is a personal decision. When to sponsor your spouse is an immigration question. Wait until you become a US citizen before you sponsor your spouse. Your spouse should not travel outside the US once you are married.

For more information, please see

2. Neil Ian Fleischer

2

Answered . You can get married at any time. The only issue wil be international travel for your spouse. Consul an attorney for details. For more in info, she link below

3. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Pro

1

Answered . I agree. Marry when you are ready to do so. You will need to be a U.S. Citizen before you can petition your husband for an immediately available visa. Therefore, it may complicate matters if you file before you have naturalized and become a U.S. Citizen.

I strongly recommend hiring a competent and experienced immigration attorney to handle this matter. Some are disqualified from adjustment of status, even if they marry a U.S. Citizen and lawfully entered with a visa, even if they have not committed a crime.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.