Skip to main content

Gc holder married to f1

Reseda, CA |

i m gc holder at 4 y and 11 mos i just applied for citizenship and my fiancee is student visa should i marry before i got citizen or after ,,we are planning to do register marriage in usa on first week of may so what should we do

Attorney Answers 3


You can get married at any time. The only issue wil be international travel for your spouse. Consul an attorney for details. For more in info, she link below

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree. Marry when you are ready to do so. You will need to be a U.S. Citizen before you can petition your husband for an immediately available visa. Therefore, it may complicate matters if you file before you have naturalized and become a U.S. Citizen.

I strongly recommend hiring a competent and experienced immigration attorney to handle this matter. Some are disqualified from adjustment of status, even if they marry a U.S. Citizen and lawfully entered with a visa, even if they have not committed a crime.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


When to marry is a personal decision. When to sponsor your spouse is an immigration question. Wait until you become a US citizen before you sponsor your spouse. Your spouse should not travel outside the US once you are married.

For more information, please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

12 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics