Gas company wants to run a gas line on our side of a private drive, can they do this without our permission?

Asked 11 months ago - Coldwater, MI

We live on a private drive with several other owners. Only the owners on one side of the street received letters about installing a gas line. Some Real Estate attorneys are claiming that they only had to notify those owners because they own the road. We have been paying taxes to maintain this road. How can only one side of the street own the road? Can the gas company install the gas line on my property without my permission?

1. James P. Frederick

Answered . It is likely that the utility company has an easement and can place the line on either side of the street. It is unlikely you would be successful in challenging this.

James Frederick