Gas company wants to run a gas line on our side of a private drive, can they do this without our permission?

Coldwater, MI |

We live on a private drive with several other owners. Only the owners on one side of the street received letters about installing a gas line. Some Real Estate attorneys are claiming that they only had to notify those owners because they own the road. We have been paying taxes to maintain this road. How can only one side of the street own the road? Can the gas company install the gas line on my property without my permission?

It is likely that the utility company has an easement and can place the line on either side of the street. It is unlikely you would be successful in challenging this.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Oil and gas law topics

Recommended articles about Oil and gas law