Garnishment with a self employed person-Please help me

Asked over 2 years ago - Ellicott City, MD

Hi,Could you please help me how to do a garnish with a self employed person.It looks this person doesn't have any property and I am finding hard time to search her assets.I won the case with district court of MD and it looks this person changed the name.She was having a business(Corp) which I think she closed.Please advice me and help me how can I get my money.Thanks.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Ronald Jay Drescher

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . I would get this person in for a deposition in aid of enforcement of the judgment. This will force her to answer questions under oath, frequently in front of a judge or a master. You can ask her anything about her assets and her income. She may have opened a new business. If this new business is similar to her old business, you may be able to sue the new business for successor liability.

    Stay on top of her. Although she may someday file bankruptcy and get out from under your efforts, keeping the pressure up is likely the only way you'll get paid.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,989 answers this week

3,104 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,989 answers this week

3,104 attorneys answering