Skip to main content

Garnishment interrogatories came back with no accounts at the bank. Now what?

Saint Louis, MO |

I won a small claims judgement against my former employer and filed the paperwork for garnishment. I got the majority of the monies owed but not all. So after a few months i filed again, but this time the interrogatories came back saying that they do not have an account at that bank. What would my next step be to collect the money owed to me?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. You can find out where he works and garnish him. If he doesn't work, go through the tax records in either the City or County, and see if he owns any property.

  2. With a judgment you have a right to post-judgment discovery. That can take the form of interrogatories, a request for production of documents and records, or you can depose him.

    Informally, you could ask someone in a position to know (such as a supplier) where he's banking these days. You could have a friend mask their caller ID and call him up with a phony survey to ask whether he's satisfied with his current bank. Once you get the name out of him, go levy the bank. You could also have someone buy from him using a check, and then once the check clears examine the check or its image for the ID of the bank where it got deposited.

    You could also attempt a "rolling levy" ... just work your way down from the banks with the largest market share in your area to those with the smallest until you hit paydirt.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics