Galvanized steel used as walking cane

Pasadena, CA |

My old cane broke. So I went to the hardware store and got a 48" threaded steel pipe section and cut it to size then screwed on the handle. PC 22210 refers to a "leaded" cane. Have any courts interpreted "leaded" to include anything that greatly increases the weight of a cane so as to make it a weapon? I've never taken it outside due to this possibility. Thanks for anyone who has run a case search on the definition of "leaded".

What you have is not a leaded cane which is defined as "a staff, crutch, stick, rod, pole, or similar device, unnaturally weighted with lead". Whether an overly zealous policeman might question what you have is something I cannot answer.

Tai Christopher Bogan

Tai Christopher Bogan

Not to mention, it seems a lot of work just to make a cane.

Whatever you do, don't hit anyone with it.

That won't happen. I'm nearly 70 years old, out of shape. My capability of using this heavy steel cane is dismal. I simply wanted a stronger cane. I rarely leave the confines on my home as I'm the sole caretaker of my father who is 97 years old. He's a retired Admin State Judge. I'm an inactive attorney who hasn't practised law for the last 20 years or more. For personal protection I rely on far more sophisticated systems. I just wanted to repair an old but nice broken cane which I don't really need. I was just worried that the mere possession of said cane would be a violation of PC22210 as defined in PC 16760 and cause of world of legal trouble massively out of proportion to anything relevant to my lifestyle. Having 2 large dogs, a couple of shotguns, security camera systems and other items not to be mentioned should suffice for reasonable protection in the future:) Thanks for the comment, tbh

Nicholas Milan Loncar

Nicholas Milan Loncar

I think you're asking a great question and I completely agree with Mr. Kaman. It's the kind of situation where we'd like to think no one would think to give you a hard time about your cane, there might just be that one miserable human being who decides to cite you. And I'm sure you would never hit someone with your cane, but it was something I was sure is illegal.