Skip to main content

GAL isn't representing the kids, just the abuser. What can I do?

Park Falls, WI |

The GAL for the TRO case is stating new rules that has to be followed when a judge said supervised visits will happen, without rules. He states that I cannot be there when the children visit thier dad who sexually, physically and emotionally abused them. He wrote a hearsay testimony to the courts saying that the supervisor said all went awesome at the kids last visit, except that I was there. Is there something I can do to protect my kids when the GAL don't ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Do not get into a match of wills with the Guardian ad Litem, especially without a lawyer on your side. This is someone the Judge has trusted to help your children. While fighting a guardian ad litem can be done, persuading a guardian ad litem is usually much more productive.

Keep in mind that this is a public forum. Your guardian ad litem may even be reading your posts here.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

--- Facebook Page

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:



Thanks for your advice. I have tried to get the GAL to listen to what was needed, but he had preconceived decisions evan before we met. At our first meeting, he said' Just to let you know, I am filing a petition to deny your TRO." This was evan before hearing anything. I don't see how he is representing the kids. The father WAS proven guilty.


Ma'am - you have posted many questions on this forum for which we cannot answer or give you legal advice because we do not have all of the facts and we do not represent you. I STRONGLY advise you to obtain counsel. You are clearly struggling with this process and I suspect some of the things that have gone wrong for you in your case are because you do not have an attorney or a strong advocate and you are taking actions upon yourself without sound legal advice that is reflecting negatively upon you with the court. Please, do you and your children a favor, and hire an attorney. If you cannot afford one, contact the Wisconsin State Bar to find out if there is an attorney in your area who does pro bono work or who takes cases at reduced rates. If you already have an attorney - listen to their advice! Good luck to you.



I'm sorry if I upset you, but thats all I was asking for was advice, not critisism. I have tried to hire an attorney, and he filed the WRONG paperwork, and didn't do his job. Now that I have paid him for this Huge mistake he did, I do not have the funds to pay another. Wi State bar has only a WI program for pro bono atorneys for criminal charges I might have against myself. I am not the guilty one, so no help. I;m trying to protect my children from all this crud, but just hitting walls. It all comes down to the children. If you know of a attorney who will do it, by all means send me a message. I've already put out 3 grand, and got no where.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer