Ga Courts recd signed div papers 2/28 - then dismissal of counterclaim on 3/18. How long will it take for divorce to be final?

Lawrenceville, GA |

Signed divorce papers docked in clerks office on 2/28 - then on 3/18 wife's dismissal of counterclaim was filed. Will the courts look at the 2/28 date or the 3/18 date when signing for final divorce?

1. Your divorce will become final and official when the Judge signs the final decree of divorce. I am not sure which 'divorce papers' you filed. If you are referring to a settlement agreement, then you will need to either file for a Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings (if the Judge allows them in your case) or schedule your case for a final uncontested hearing.

2. There's no way for us to know. You need to ask your lawyer.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

3. If the final hearing has taken place and it's just a matter of the judge making a final review and signing, it will depend on how long he or she takes and how long court administration takes to file the decree. As counsel stated, when the judge signs the order on the decree.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.