G4 to F1 status change

Asked almost 4 years ago - Washington, DC

I am currently on G4 visa and would like to pursue my master's degree. Two questions:

1) Does the application for F1 visa need to be submitted while on G4 or it can also be done during 2 month grace period that G4 visa offers.

2) The semester starts in August of 2011, given that can I apply for F1 status within US or should leave the country and do it from my home country given the timing: 7-9 month from the time of application to the the time when classes actually start.

Thanks so much for your time.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Maud Poudat

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You can apply for your change of status from G-4 to F-1 in the US. I would recommend you file your application before the 60 days grace period as the change of status requires the DOS visa office to endorse certain forms. That can take some time. It is only when you get the endorsement that you can file your request for change of status with USCIS. Are you a dependent G-4. You can respond at m.poudat@mpoudatlaw.com

    Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,782 answers this week

3,147 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,782 answers this week

3,147 attorneys answering