Skip to main content

G4 grace period.

Gaithersburg, MD |

G4 visa offers a 60 day grace period, If I decide to apply for a different status should it be done before the grace period kicks in or an application can also be submitted during those 60 days?

Attorney Answers 2


The answer depends on whether you are 1) changing to another non-immigrant status or 2) applying for adjustment of status.

Changing status to another nonimmigrant status i.e. H1B worker, F1 student etc. A unique problem for G4 visa holders is that when applying for a "change of status", the G4 status must be terminated. Once terminated, the Change of Status must be endorsed by the Dept. of State. Dept. of State can take 5-6 weeks to endorse the change. If your next status is an employment authorized, you need to plan ahead to reduce the amount of time that you are not authorized for employment. To answer your question, you can file before the termination of your status, but you won't have the State Dept. endorsement... so it is not really recommended. It is best to have the endorsement in hand and file everything together in one package.

Adjustment of Status. If you are applying for residence aka "adjusting status", you do not need the State Department endorsement. Therefore, you can file before your G4 status is terminated.

We are very experienced in handling G4 changes and adjustments. Feel free to take advantage of our Free 30 Minute Consultation to get the reliable advice you require. You can schedule your appointment by clicking on the BOOK NOW button on our website: and choose Option 1. The link below will also take you to the appointment scheduling system. We would be happy to work with you so that you can make an informed decision on how to proceed.

If you like this thoughtful response, do not forget to give it a thumbs up!

Mark as helpful

4 found this helpful


As previously stated, it would depend on the status your are changing to.
If it involves a non-immigrant status then the procedure is different from adjusting status.
Adjustment of status does not require a Department of State endorsement whereas a change of status does.
If you are changing status then you must first terminate the current G4 status and then obtain a DOS endorsement.
Issue of major concern would be the period of time you need to wait to receive the endorsement and how that affects you.
It is advisable to contact and retain an immigration lawyer if you are familiar with the process.
You are welcome to use the link provided below.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics