Fundraiser Betting?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Doylestown, PA

My school is having a benifit 5k race, looking to find out if its legal to bet on the runners as part of our fundraiser and make the gambler prize be a 50/50. Five selected runners were going to dress up as our school mascot and then people over 18 could bet on the runner. Need to find out if this is legal and who would I contact.

1. John Scott Swimmer

Answered . Typically you have to refer to the state statutes and how a lottery and charitable gaming are defined. It comes down what consideration is offered for the bet. Generally, a 50/50 lottery complies with the statute because there is no consideration offered. But betting on the individuals is probably illegal. This is similar to a race or sports betting, which is highly regulated if it is legal in your state.

2. Raphael Samuel Moore

Answered . Doubtful, but check with the proper agency that regulates betting, games of chance, etc., in your state. In some jurisdictions that is the Attorney General's office. I see in PA there is a Gaming Control Board, so you could start with them:
    http://gamingcontrolboard.pa.gov/