Ft Lauderdale, FL - Arrested on 2 felony charges for shoplifting. Never been arrested before. Please help. What do I do?!

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

Yesterday, I was arrested on two charges:
1. Grand theft shoplifting - Merchandise total was about $500.
2. Possession of an anti-shoplifting countermeasure - Loss prevention personnel found wire cutters in my shopping bag. They also claim to have surveillance video and told me they found anti-theft sensors where I allegedly stashed them.
As previously stated, I have NEVER been arrested. In the past.
What are my options? Please, Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

1. Daniel Marc Berman

10

Answered . The first and really only rational thing you should do is hire a lawyer to begin working on your behalf. This is a felony and all felony charges are very serious, even if you have never been in trouble in the past.
    Please visit our web site and call us for a free consultation. www.southfloridaarrests.com

2. James Regan

Pro

9

Answered . Incarceration is possible. Retain experienced counsel. http://defendme.net

http://defendme.net

3. Bryce Aric Fetter

9

Answered . You need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to help you through this. www.BryceFetter.com

4. David Richard Damore

Pro

9

Answered . U hire an attorney.

5. David Bradley Dohner

4

Answered . The worst aspect of your case, and I mean this in all sincerity, is that you are alleged to have commited the acts stated in Broward County, Florida. Having practiced in South Florida for nineteen years now, I can tell you that had these same allegations been made in Miami-Dade County, Florida, or Palm Beach County, Florida, you would be confronted with a situation approximately one hundred percent (100%) less worrisome than that with which you are currently facing.
    The information form the arresting agency will be conveyed to the State Attorney's Office in and for the 17th Judicial Circuit which is Broward County, Florida. Unlike the neighboring jurisdictions, you may need to make your own options as opposed to having them presented to you by the SAO. I will provide the same advice to you that I provide to everyone in a situation similar to yours. You need to secure the advice of counsel and you need to have him or her do more for you than "wait for your arraignment date and see what the State is doing with your case" as many attorneys advise their clients. Wrong, wrong, wrong. By presenting information to the attorney who has been or who will be assigned to your case in the prefile stage (it's just what it sounds like), you can create a better path upon which you can travel as the matter progresses toward arraignment. You may even persuade the SAO, through your counsel to consider refraining from filing at least one count, as number two sounds a bit thin to me.

Again, in fairness to my colleagues, just as I would enjoy occasionally seeing them receprocally handle matters from time to time, as the primary function of this site is not to provide a forum for lawyers to solicit clients, I recommend that you contact several attorneys in the area who are experienced in criminal defense and have familiarity with the State Attorney's Office and its personnel with whom you will be dealing. After speaking with the three or four attorneys, and it would be my pleasure to be among them, you will likely find that you are more comfortable interacting with one attorney moreso than the others. As I always say, this is typical of all relationships and therefore , not surprising. You should be comfortable with your attorney, as the attorney-client relationship is a very important one demanding a great deal of trust if you are going to optimize the benefit from same. AVVO can arrrange telephonic conferences for you with qualified pratitioners in your area, or you can find any number of them by researching the Attorney profiles on AVVO and elsewhere. In that manner you can contact individual attorneys on your own if that is your preference, rather than use AVVO phone conference system.
    You goal should be to retain an attorney who will gather the most useful information possible from you and others with which he or she can approach the prefile attorney, who will handle the matter in the time period prior to arraignment, which is the first time after your bond hearing at which you will appear before the court and the State will announce the charges against you, which, again, a good attorney will attempt to minimize before this first court appearance, if at all possible. The fewer charges which are filed, the less aggressive the assistant state attorney who is assigned to the case after your arraignment is likely to be and the more likely you are to find yourself with the option to enter a diversion program available to you, which is a manner of disposing of the matter, through a program affillitiated with the court but not part of the court system, therefore, it is called an extra-judicial manner of resolution. If you are able to secure the opportunity to enter a program such as that which I have described, and you successfully complete same, the resolution of your case will ultimately be the announcement of a nolle pros by the State Attorney's Office (which can then be sealed and expunged). Best regards, David B. Dohner, Esq