Ft Lauderdale, FL - Arrested on 2 felony charges for shoplifting. Never been arrested before. Please help. What do I do?!

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

Yesterday, I was arrested on two charges:
1. Grand theft shoplifting - Merchandise total was about $500.
2. Possession of an anti-shoplifting countermeasure - Loss prevention personnel found wire cutters in my shopping bag. They also claim to have surveillance video and told me they found anti-theft sensors where I allegedly stashed them.
As previously stated, I have NEVER been arrested. In the past.
What are my options? Please, Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

1. Incarceration is possible. Retain experienced counsel. http://defendme.net

http://defendme.net

http://defendme.net | For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.877.452.9457. Attorney James Regan, LL.M, Esq., is a Florida lawyer answering questions pro bono. Answering these consumer questions based on limited and unverified facts does not create an attorney-client relationship. Being posted on the internet, these questions and answers are not confidential. For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.800.452.9357.

2. The first and really only rational thing you should do is hire a lawyer to begin working on your behalf. This is a felony and all felony charges are very serious, even if you have never been in trouble in the past.
    Please visit our web site and call us for a free consultation. www.southfloridaarrests.com

Daniel M. Berman www.southfloridaaccidents.com This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

3. You need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to help you through this. www.BryceFetter.com

4. U hire an attorney.

David R. Damore, Esq., Damore, Delgado, Romanik & Rawlins, Daytona Beach, FL, (386) 255-1400. Mr. Damore is a former Volusia and Broward County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

5. The worst aspect of your case, and I mean this in all sincerity, is that you are alleged to have commited the acts stated in Broward County, Florida. Having practiced in South Florida for nineteen years now, I can tell you that had these same allegations been made in Miami-Dade County, Florida, or Palm Beach County, Florida, you would be confronted with a situation approximately one hundred percent (100%) less worrisome than that with which you are currently facing.
    The information form the arresting agency will be conveyed to the State Attorney's Office in and for the 17th Judicial Circuit which is Broward County, Florida. Unlike the neighboring jurisdictions, you may need to make your own options as opposed to having them presented to you by the SAO. I will provide the same advice to you that I provide to everyone in a situation similar to yours. You need to secure the advice of counsel and you need to have him or her do more for you than "wait for your arraignment date and see what the State is doing with your case" as many attorneys advise their clients. Wrong, wrong, wrong. By presenting information to the attorney who has been or who will be assigned to your case in the prefile stage (it's just what it sounds like), you can create a better path upon which you can travel as the matter progresses toward arraignment. You may even persuade the SAO, through your counsel to consider refraining from filing at least one count, as number two sounds a bit thin to me.

Again, in fairness to my colleagues, just as I would enjoy occasionally seeing them receprocally handle matters from time to time, as the primary function of this site is not to provide a forum for lawyers to solicit clients, I recommend that you contact several attorneys in the area who are experienced in criminal defense and have familiarity with the State Attorney's Office and its personnel with whom you will be dealing. After speaking with the three or four attorneys, and it would be my pleasure to be among them, you will likely find that you are more comfortable interacting with one attorney moreso than the others. As I always say, this is typical of all relationships and therefore , not surprising. You should be comfortable with your attorney, as the attorney-client relationship is a very important one demanding a great deal of trust if you are going to optimize the benefit from same. AVVO can arrrange telephonic conferences for you with qualified pratitioners in your area, or you can find any number of them by researching the Attorney profiles on AVVO and elsewhere. In that manner you can contact individual attorneys on your own if that is your preference, rather than use AVVO phone conference system.
    You goal should be to retain an attorney who will gather the most useful information possible from you and others with which he or she can approach the prefile attorney, who will handle the matter in the time period prior to arraignment, which is the first time after your bond hearing at which you will appear before the court and the State will announce the charges against you, which, again, a good attorney will attempt to minimize before this first court appearance, if at all possible. The fewer charges which are filed, the less aggressive the assistant state attorney who is assigned to the case after your arraignment is likely to be and the more likely you are to find yourself with the option to enter a diversion program available to you, which is a manner of disposing of the matter, through a program affillitiated with the court but not part of the court system, therefore, it is called an extra-judicial manner of resolution. If you are able to secure the opportunity to enter a program such as that which I have described, and you successfully complete same, the resolution of your case will ultimately be the announcement of a nolle pros by the State Attorney's Office (which can then be sealed and expunged). Best regards, David B. Dohner, Esq

We are pleased to offer a free thirty (30) minute initial telephone consultation, or, if possible, will attempt to schedule a free thirty (30) minute initial office consultation. Neither this offer of a free initial consultation, nor the mere fact that the initial consultation may have ultimately been conducted, whether telephonically or at our office location, should be construed; assumed; interpreted; or understood by any individual who was granted a free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort whatsoever was tendered, to have formed or created an attorney-client relationship, or to have created any obligations owed by the attorney or attorney's firm to any individual who was given a free initial consultation, by the mere undertaking of the free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort was tendered to attorney or attorney's firm. The formation of an attorney-client relationship occurs through the process of negotiation between the prospective parties, the individual seeking legal representation, and the attorney, acting individually, or as an agent of a firm (the capacity in which the attorney is acting shall be disclosed to prospective client, if negotiations for legal representation in exchange for good and valuable consideration are undertaken by the prospective client and the attorney. If agreement is reached by and between the parties for legal representation after the mutually satisfactory negotiation of the agreement for legal representation, and all of its individual terms; the scope of representation to be provided by the attorney to the prospective client has been delineated to the mutual satisfaction of the parties; the manner of payment of good and valuable consideration by the prospective client to the attorney has been determined; and it has been conceded by the parties that all of those factors upon which agreement had been reached by the parties and which were recited herein, had been agreed upon by the parties only after careful consideration and sufficient review of the document styled Agreement for Legal Representation, and after it has likewise been conceded by the parties that each respectively had been presented with the opportunity to have the document reviewed independently by each respective party's personal attorney, or any other attorney of his or her chooosing. If the Agreement for Legal Representation contains terms regarding contingency fee agreement or agreements for payment to the attorney for all or a portion of his or her services and legal representation on behalf of the Client, Client concedes that he or she has been presented with an additional document entitled "Statement of Client's Rights", which is a document created by the Florida Bar and approved for use in matters in which payment in full or part, is tendered by contingency fee agreement. Please note that any commentary or response offered through this site is based on the limited set of facts and background data supplied by the individual framing the question and would in all likelihood require more investigation before a complete response could properly be framed to thoroughly answer the question posed. No attorney-client relationship is, or should be presumed to be, formed through the comments or responses provided to the individual posing the question, as a courtesy, here, through this forum, nor should any other duties or obligations be construed; assumed; or otherwise be inferred to exist and/or owed to the individual who posed the question by the attorney who provided the best guidance possible to said individual under the circumstances presented as they were, including the unreasonable assumption that a full and thorough legal analysis of an individual's situation could be formulated simply based on the minute portion of the entirety of the facts and circumstances surrounding any legal matter, which could in no manner possibly be presented here in such a form which would allow for a thorough analysis, evaluation, or legal opinion to be formed by the Attorney.