Fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine- family law setting (california)

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

In criminal law there is the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine, is there such a theory in the family law setting, say on an OSC, a party illegally obtains evidence can the fruits of the illegally obtained evidence be excluded on a motion?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Donald Frederick Conviser

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. Such things as illegally recorded conversations, illegally intercepted e-mails, etc.are not admissible in evidence, and there may be adverse consequences to the party or attorney who obtained those matters illegally.

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is... more
  2. Roman Edward Ybarra

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Conviser. Just remember that what may be "illegal" methods of obtaining evidence for the police are governed by different standards than for the public at large. The police are government agents and are bound by certain constitutional standards that regular people are not subject to.

    DISCLAIMER - The materials provided in this answer are informational and should not be relied on as legal advice.... more
  3. Mary Katherine Brown


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Of course, your state's attorneys are the best source of information. It is important to also remember that despite what should be uniform "rules" of evidence, as a practical matter what "evidence" will be allowed may vary considerably from court to court and even judge to judge within the same court, particularly in Family Court (where hearsay and other questionable evidence is often freely admitted). Moreover, the remedy for improperly admitted evidence is to appeal the Court's decision, which often means living with it for a long time pending an appeal. As such, it would be a mistake to assume improperly obtained evidence will not be admitted, and if such evidence is prejudicial to you then you must be prepared to defend against it just as you would any other evidence. If much is at stake, you certainly should have a confidential consultation with a local attorney who knows your court and can advise you on your issue accordingly. You can find attorneys in your area by searching among the profiles here on AVVO. Good luck!

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,198 answers this week

3,161 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,198 answers this week

3,161 attorneys answering