Skip to main content

Frozen foreign retirement accounts when you immigrated and BAR and Tax

Torrance, CA |

If you immigrated to US and have a foreign retirement account that was fully contributed by your former employer and you can't touch it until you reach certain age - employee contribution was withdrawn while overseas . It is not a lot of money but over 10s . There has been no unreported income in the tax return . How is this affected by BAR ? Should you do anything about it ? Is this account exempted from BAR ? Any tips ?

It is not BAR but FBAR.

Attorney Answers 4


I do not believe that this is an immigration question.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Not an immigration question. Repost at the tax law forum.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleagues.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Not an immigration question.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Tax law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics