Front door lock - Landlord want to change- Building up for Sale

Asked about 5 years ago - San Francisco, CA

My building is up for sale (duplex) and my landlord want to change my door lock to a master lock yet he is not asking the same of my neighbor? I find this suspicious. One of the owners lives in the unit, they're saying they can do as they see fit in order to sell the building but they are not justifying why my locks in particular need to be changed? I don't trust these people, they've have not honored our verbal agreements in the past, I've lived there close to 13 years already. The lock are fine and they do not need to be replaced and I told them I'm not granting permission, now they are telling me that I've been informed and they will change them anyway? Please help, we are a family of 4, I have a toddler and I fear they are trying to set me up for whom ever buys it to kick me out..

1. Michael Robert Bracamontes

1

Best Answer

Answered . If the property is covered by the San Francisco Rent Ordinance, your landlord or the new owner cannot evict you without paying the applicable relocation expenses. If the landlord has been making unnecessary inspections and is constantly coming to your home, it could be a breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment and may also be a violation of the Rent Ordinance. Additionally, once an owner move-in eviction has been done on the property, another owner cannot come in later and perform a subsequent OMI. Feel free to contact our office for a free, no obligation consultation.

Disclaimer: You should discuss your situation with a local attorney, as the above statement is a general overview and does not take into account all of the factual considerations in your case. Nothing in this statement creates an attorney-client relationship.

2. David C. Garner

Answered . As long as he gives you the key he can change the lock if he sees fit. Periodically upgrading locks and fixtures is probably a good thing and not subject to your permission.

I can't believe things are that bad if you stayed 13 years. The new owner will take the property subject to your lease, but can evict you at the termination of it.