From which state do I talk to an attorney?

Asked over 2 years ago - Seattle, WA

There is a possibility of a rental home being foreclosed upon in Washington but the owner lives in California. All papers were signed in California and has never lived in Washington. Do we need to talk to an attorney in Washington or California? Thanks.

1. Christopher Dobbs Schwindt

5

1

Answered . You need to work with an attorney who is licensed in and/or knows the law in Washington, since that is the law which applies in this case and where any related action would be filed.

2. John Gerth Merna

Pro

4

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. If the issue is the foreclosure on a property located in the state of Washington then the laws of Washington govern and you should speak with an attorney in that state.

3. Adam Morrow

Pro

2

1

Answered . Washington

4. Steven Anderson Leahy

Pro

3

1

Answered . I don't understand your question. What is your connection to the property under foreclosure. Generally, foreclosure actions are brought in the county where the property is located. So, even if the owner lives in California and signed all the paperwork in California, the foreclosure action will be brought where the property is located, Washington.

Hope this helps.
    Respectfully,
    Steven A. Leahy
    www.chicagotaxteam.com