Skip to main content

Friend with no licensedriving my car, got into an accident. It was her fault. Medical expenses to exceed my limits please advise

Redwood City, CA |

Hi, my friend was driving my car and got into an accident. She had no license and it was her fault. Medical expenses to other party may exceed my 100k bodily injury insurance limit. Can they go after me ? Once my medical limits are exhausted can the medical limits of the other drive kick in, even though it was not their fault ? I am in CA.

thanks for all the info folks. Some of you have mentioned that Owner liability under Vehicle Code §17150 generally is limited to $15,000 per injured person. I have 100,000/300,000 coverage meaning my insurance will pay upto 100,000 to the other party for their injuries. I did not know the person driving my car was unlicensed and uninsured. So please correct me if I am wrong but the way I interpret "Owner liability under Vehicle Code §17150" in my situration is that the third party cannot come after me to seek medical damages exceeding 100,000. Is that correct ? Appreciate if someone can confirm.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Generally, your med pay coverage is fairly small ($5K) and pertains to occupants in your vehicle. Your personal injury liability coverage is usually a much higher number and generally has two limits: a per person limit and a per occurrence limit, e.g., $100,000/$300,000. I suspect you need to review your policy declarations page, again.

Owner liability under Vehicle Code §17150 generally is limited to $15,000 per injured person; $30,000 per occurrence; and $5,000 for property damage [Vehicle Code §17151.]

California law generally requires that automobile insurance policies cover permissive drivers under the owner's liability policy [Insurance Code §11580.1(b)(4)] but the insurer can limit permissive user coverage by use of clear and conspicuous language to $15,000/$30,000/$5,000 [Vehicle Code §16056.]

The permissive use statute does not limit the liability amount owed by the owner based on another viable legal theory (other than permissive use) such as, for example, negligent entrustment to an “incompetent, reckless, or inexperienced driver” or employee drivers.

You are only protected to the limits of your insurance policy. If the injured driver has insurance that is good for the injured driver but does not reduce your liability.
If you have questions regarding your insurance coverage and particularly if your carrier denies coverage, you should consult your own independent attorney.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


You need to talk with an independent attorney. Contact one for a consultation.


Depending on the circumstances you may be held personally liable for costs in excess of your coverage. Did you give her permission to drive? Did you know she was unlicensed? Don't answer those questions here. Retain an attorney in your area and speak with him. In the mean time make no statements either online or to your insurance. If you do your case could be affected.

-Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different jurisdictions.


I agree with Mr. Coluccio. You really need to contact a competent personal injury attorney, give them all the facts, and have them explain the issues of liability & coverage to you. Best of luck.


Your first step is to turn this case over your insurance carrier, if you have not already done so. They will hire a lawyer to represent you and your driver (there may be some exceptions but let's assume she is being represented.) Your insurance company has a legal duty to try and settle the matter within your policy limits. However, the other side is not obligated to accept a settlement offer. This is something over which you have no control. Under California law, a registered owner liable up to $15,000 (, unless the injured driver can prove Negligent Entrustment. You can research this topic online or if you want a detailed opinion applicable to the facts of your case, you can hire your own lawyer.

Robert Max Klein

Robert Max Klein


I appreciate the fact that you are worried and concerned. However, it is not fair to you nor to any lawyer responding to attempt to give you a "solid" answer based on the limited facts posted. As an aside, you don't want to post more facts as there may not be an attorney client privilege. I still recommend that your hire your own lawyer. Your lawyer can provide you with a more detailed opinion, and will provide you with better advice and will also be in a position to watch over your insurance co. to make sure that they act in your best interest.


In ordinary circumstances as the owner of the vehicle your liability would be limited to $15,000, but if you knowingly allow someone without a license to drive your vehicle, your liability could become open ended. If you're looking at injuries that may exceed $100,000 in bodily injury insurance limits, I'm not certain whose policy you are speaking about. It's inconceivable that your insurance carrier is going to provide coverage to an individual who does not have a driver's license and no insurance. I would suggest you desperately need to seek out legal counsel.

I hope this is helpful.

John N. Kitta

This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.


Report this to your insurance company to resolve.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Your ins co will cover up to 100k per person and 300k per accident. You gave the driver permission to drive, so she will be covered under your policy, unless there is a specific exclusion for her. A registered owner is liable under the VC section you are aware of for 15/30. That is merely due to ownership. If you were independently negligent, you could be sued for an unlimited amount. If you gave someone your car to drive and you knew the brakes were bad is one example. If you let someone use your car who was not fit to drive, is another.
The pltf in this case can sue you and the driver for an unlimited amount. Your co will pay no more than 100k total to settle for you and your driver both. If the pltf proves you were negligent, and the verdict comes in greater than 100k you could be personally liable for the excess. If your company did not offer the 100k to try to get you released from laibility, you could then have a case against your ins co whose job is to protect you.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer