Friend was drving w/o a license, in a car his roommate bought but never registered. He was arrested, and has court.

Asked about 4 years ago - Coral Springs, FL

My friend, was driving to work when he got pulled over. He does not have a license, and the cars tags were to his roommates old van. He was arrested and bonded out for $50 within 2 hours. He has court next week, and I was wondering the severitity of the situation. His tickets were driving w/o valid license and unlaw alteration of tag. He doesn't have money yet to get his license, and the car is still in the impound lot. The owner does not have money to get it registered, insured, out. How can he prove that the car in question was not his?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Tonald Edmund Spinks

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I think your question would get a better response in the "criminal defense" section. But, from back when I did practice criminal law, your friend would likely be eligible for the misdemeanor intervention program (MIP) or something to that effect. In which he would have to pay a fine, do some community service, etc. But, the benefit would be the State would drop the charge after he successfully completes the program. At least that is the way it was done in Tampa, a few years ago. Again, you should ask the question on the "criminal defense" section and/or seek the assistance of a criminal defense attorney.

    From the desk of T. Edmund Spinks, Esq. P.L.
    304 Plant Ave. S. Suite 100 Tampa, FL 33606
    Phn: 813-254-2770
    Fax: 813-254-2772
    Disclaimer: legal information is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. This information is not intended as legal advice for an individual situation, it is only provided as information.

  2. Evan Michael Ostfeld

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . He needs a criminal attorney and not a personal injury lawyer! It does not matter that the car was not his. He should not have been driving ANYONE's car for that matter.

    Good Luck!

    Evan in FLA (866) I SUE YOU (478-3968)

Related Topics

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,282 answers this week

2,352 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,282 answers this week

2,352 attorneys answering