Skip to main content

Friend is facing drug possession charges. He did detox, would a methadone program help his case?

Cherry Hill, NJ |

Has prior possession charges

Attorney Answers 4


Any self help will go mitigate sentence but the range of sentence depends on the charge and the priors.

Mark as helpful


It can't hurt, but it won't make the charge to away. How much it helps depends on many factors. A good lawyer will help even more.

Mark as helpful


Will make the person more presentable in court as it shows an effort to try to "clean up." However, the charge will remain the same. This might help the prosecutor in offering a better plea and can help at the sentencing phase of the case. Have him/her seek out a criminal defense attorney.

Communication of information by, in, to or through this Web site and your receipt or use of it (1) is not provided in the course of and does not create or constitute an attorney-client relationship, (2) is not intended as a solicitation, (3) is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice, and (4) is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice. You should not act upon any such information without first seeking qualified professional counsel on your specific matter. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon Web site communications or advertisements.

Mark as helpful


Will make the person more likable in court as it would show effort in trying to clean up their lives, but the charge will remain the same. In that case, you could get a better plea offer and a lesser sentencing if the Judge has discretion. Hire a good criminal defense attorney.

Do NOT rely on this answer as the information provided here is not legal advice nor is it a substitute for legal advice which requires a consultation with a lawyer. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics