Friday night the neighbors in back of my house had friends over, and brought their dogs.

Asked 11 months ago - Denver, CO

They broke the 7 ft wood fence and killed my dog. They admitted guilt and the police issued 2 tickets a piece. I would like to find an attorney to go after them. My 14 year old witnessed this.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

7

Answered . There are many of us who have handled and handle animal law cases and are major pet lovers. What type of case or damages do you want to "go after them" for though? Any medical expenses that you are out of as the result of the death of your dog should be covered under restitution as part of the criminal case. As far as emotional damages and pain and suffering, understand that unfortunately the law in CO and most states views that pets are considered to just be personal property (like silverware or china) instead of a living, breathing, loving, caring, and compassionate being with a soul. The truth is that we oftentimes form closer relationships with our dogs than we do fellow humans and they are always there for us unconditionally when humans are not. You possibly do have a law suit on your hands. However, I need to advise you that it will likely be expensive and lengthy. Call around to schedule initial free consultations with some of us and get their advice.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . Rough situation -- lucky no one was hurt. Be reasonable and ask these folks if they have an insurance (homeowners or renters) that would cover the actions of the dogs. If they do, ask for the contact info and make a claim. That's the place to start.

If there is no cooperation, talk to an attorney that deals with dog damages cases.

3. Tara Kaylene Millan

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with what Christopher noted. I am sorry about your dog. Our dogs really capture our hearts.

A few other items are probably relevant. Any chance these other dogs have a history of attacks? I do not know in Colorado if you can check with the local animal control for records on the dogs. Probably, you can.

Who maintained the fence and was it in good repair? This will be an issue.

Be sure to get photos of fence, your dog (sorry but yes) and the attack area.

With behavior like this, my bet is these dogs have a history, and thus the owners (maybe your neighbors) have knowledge of their propensity for violence.

You should talk with some lawyers (look for animal law lawyers and personal injury lawyers in your area) about what possible claims you may have.

I do not know the law in your state regarding whether any action exists for what your son saw (some sort of emotional distress type claim) and a lot would depend on what he saw. The law in Colorado might not allow for such a recovery.

I am sorry this happened. A really odd but devastating incident. Go talk to counsel and see what they think your options are in Colorado.

Best of luck to you!

4. Todd Frank Bovo

1

Answered . Mr. Leroi is right. Your best option, and quickest, is pursing restitution for the criminal case. You may be able to do this without an attorney. You need to organize your damages and bring proof. The victims' advocates are a great resource. I suggest you fill out the Victim Impact Statement ASAP. Call if you have any questions.

Pro

2

Answered . Homeowner's claim, or go to small claims court