Freelancer website keeps blocking my account every time I try to withdraw money. What are my legal options?

Asked 9 months ago - Pleasanton, CA

I work as a freelancer on an online website. I pay them a monthly fee to be able to submit proposals on jobs. For the last 3-4 times I have tried to withdraw my earnings, they have suspended my account for a week or so without any reason. This causes huge problems for me as I am unable to use my own money which I should get within 2-3 days. Also, they block my account temporarily which hinders my ability to work with old clients on new projects and also to propose to new clients. It also makes my clients aware of the fact that my account is blocked which affects my business and reputation. Clients don't know the exact reason of the blocking of the account. I want to know what my legal options are in this case. If I pursue them in court, would the case stand ? what are my options?

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

2

Answered . Have you talked to the owners of the website about this issue? It is not clear what you mean by your account being "blocked." Are clients able to deposit money into it? If so, and a temporary hold is merely placed on funds until they are cleared -- that is normal practice. I do not see a case. You option is not to use the site if you do not like their terms of service which, BTW, you should consult for a potential answer to your question. If you are able to propose other methods of payment -- perhaps that would work better for you.

2. James Anthony Dal Bon

Pro

1

Answered . I usually give more information than this, but you need to spend a little money and speak with an attorney.

You need to start by printing out a copy of the written contract you signed with them in your case. Read the contract carefully. Then set an appointment with an attorney to go over the facts and the contract in your case. Make sure you have a written account with dates and times things happened. print out any copies of emails then place them in chronological order. The more work you do for the attorney the less time he or she will bill you.