Fraudulent marriage?

Someone I know in the army married a foreigner in exchange for 15k at a courthouse in Wisconsin. this was back in 12/2010. He never received his money, never lived together and filed for a divorce and divorce finalizes in August. Will the foreigner still be able to stay in the states? Also, most importantly, if anyone finds out, will the army guy get in trouble even though there was no money exchanged in this fraudulent marriage??

Don't post this on Avvo. Choose an immigration lawyer who understands both family and criminal law. These facts could be used against the someone you know as you described.

This is an immigration question, not a marriage question. I have redirected your post to immigration. In addition, the facts as you describe them could be the basis for a criminal investigation, so the someone you know should also confer with a criminal lawyer.

You can consult with a lawyer about your question for little or no cost through a lawyer referral service in your area. You can find your nearest lawyer referral service by clicking on the link below.

If you found this response helpful, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this response. Thank you. Mr. Richardson practices in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties, and concentrates in non-adversarial dispute resolution as a mediator and collaborative lawyer. The California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization certifies Mr. Richardson as a specialist in California Family Law. He offers no comments or advice with respect to the laws of any state or jurisdiction other than California. The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. Mr. Richardson is not your lawyer unless and until you and he have personally met together. This post does not constitute legal advice, and no lawyer client relationship results.

It is not a good idea to post a question like this one online. It is criminally punishable offense to enter into fraudulent marriage for the purposes of immigration benefits. Both spouses can be subjected to criminal charges. Find a lawyer in your state who handles both criminal and immigration cases. Good Luck!