Fraudulent Billing

Miami, FL |

Who do I go to to prosecute for matters of fraudulent billing by an attorney? Is it the state attorney's office, the department of justice? Which entity prosecutes for this matter?

Hi,

No one is going to "prosecute" a criminal matter because you claim the billing was fraudulent. This is a civil matter and sounds like a fee dispute between a lawyer and his/her client.

If you believe the lawyer has acting in some unaccpetable way you can file a complaint with the FL state court (attorney disciplinary committee- call the FL State Bar for help with this). You can also request fee arbitration in most states which is essentailly a hearing where they can determine whether the lawyer has a legal right to pursue damages for non-payment.

If the lawyer has already claimed fees that you believe they have no right to, you are also free to file your own action in court (perhaps the small claims court if less than 10K). But again in some states a fee arbitration is required before the court will hear the case.

Lastly, you can cannot a FL malpractice lawyer to discuss all your options as well.

All the best,
Frank
Natoli-Lapin, LLC
(see Dislcaimer)

The law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC (Home of Lantern Legal Services) offers our flat-rate legal services in the areas of business law and intellectual property to entrepreneurs, small-to-medium size businesses, independent inventors and artists across the nation and abroad. Feel free to call for a free phone consultation; your inquiries are always welcome: CONTACT: 866-871-8655 Support@LanternLegal.com DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis of this posting.

You did not answer my question.

Frank A. Natoli

Frank A. Natoli

Any office with the authority to prosecute a criminal matter can bring charges. So you can go to any the offices you noted above. They will tell you what we all have told you however. Good luck!

There is likely no criminal cause of action, it would simply be a civil cause of action, though each case is different. The first person you should discuss the billing with is the attorney. Perhaps her billing assistant forgot to the carry the two and that's why the invoice looked a little high, or whatever the dispute is. Nobody is in a better position to justify the billing and provide an itemized billing invoice than the attorney, so start there. Law is pretty complex, that's why you hired an attorney in the first place, so perhaps there is justification for the time spent, or when the attorney reviews the time spent she wants to adjust it herself. There are many possible outcomes that all stem from you politely and respectfully making an inquiry with the attorney.

Best of luck

There is NO attorney-client privilege based on this interaction. I am NOT your attorney. Further, everything we both just wrote is publicly available on the internet and would be the same as if we were talking in a crowded restaurant. If you need legal assistance use Avvo to find a local attorney in your jurisdiction that you feel can best represent your interests as a zealous advocate. My experience is in corporate tax, white collar criminal defense, partnership tax, and tax controversy/litigation. If you're being audited by the IRS or state taxing authority, or you are taking an unusually risky tax position on a return, that is the kind of thing you should have experienced counsel on your side and we can set up an initial consultation. If you have a family law, debt collection, violent crime sort of issue then I do not handle that. Do not contact me for an initial consultation on non-tax matters.

You are the third attorney who has not answered my question. I really hope that Avvo will start paying attention to the sort of "answers" that are being given.

No one is going to prosecute an attorney for what you described as "fraudulent billing."

If it is truly "fraudulent" you could file a grievance with the Florida Bar.

Most likely you have a fee disagreement which needs to resolve through civil litigation. But why don't you try to communicate with your lawyer and ask about what you think is "fraudulent."

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed.

My question was not answered by you.

Clifford M. Miller

Clifford M. Miller

There is nobody to go to to prosecute this matter, because it is not a crime.

Professional ethics topics