Fraud? Business has been having undocumented workers and is planning on filing for bankruptcy once the business is signed over.

Privately owned business has family working under the table for years and filing taxes improperly. They have bought land and put in under a family members name so that they can move the business and then sign it over to a relative so that they can file for bankruptcy and not have to pay back anything. Even though it will not be legally their company they will still be working and collecting money. Is this something big enough for me to report?

Neenah, WI -

Attorney Answers (2)

Dorothy G Bunce

Dorothy G Bunce

Debt / Lending Agreements Lawyer - Las Vegas, NV

It is not like it costs anything for you to file a report to the authorities. I would begin by reporting to the IRS and to immigration. Hope this perspective helps!

Eric J Camm

Eric J Camm

Business Attorney - Seattle, WA

I would consider contacting the attorney general's office in Wisconsin. They will have a number of good resources to help you understand what options you have in terms of reporting something that concerns you.

You could also contact a good bankruptcy attorney to discuss what steps you might take if the above stated plan is implemented.

Legal disclaimer: I am licensed to practice law in the state of Washington and the answer provided above is for... more

Related Topics

Business debt

Business debt has different implications depending on how the business is structured. In some cases, you may be personally liable.

Featured Legal Guides

Bankruptcy and small business

Small business bankruptcy options include Chapter 7, 11, and 13, and depend on the business structure and the amount of the debt(s).

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.