Skip to main content

Four years ago a friend was staying with us and her boyfriend came to my home after he tried to kill someone, I went to sheriff

Redding, CA |

Explained what was going on they contacted detectives and I spoke with them telling them please do not use my name that I was afraid that when he gets out he will try to hurt me, and of course they said my name would be anonymous .
Well he is out of prison now and he visits a house that is 2 doors down from mine , I was told that he is passing out the paperwork showing my name and saying he has a problem with me . Is there anything I can do .

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You can contact the police, but I would look for the same person you dealt with earlier. A restraining order is not worth much, unless the restrained person "gets the point" and stays away. If this customer is looking for real trouble, a piece of paper won't do much to deter him. Don't let the cops off the hook: if they revealed your name, make them help you.

    If my answer has been helpful please note that. We answer these questions free of charge and appreciate the feedback.

  2. Yes, contact the police. You can also get a restraining order. The individual may or may not have committed a crime. You can also hire a criminal attorney who can assist you through this.

  3. Contact the police and the prosecutor's office. Good luck.

    The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

  4. Local law enforcement is your best resource in this type of situation. If the local police are not "interested" then contact state authorities. Document that is write down everything noting the persons and dates of your contacts.

    Please do NOT use this answer/response to say or do anything regarding your situation. This answer/response is based on the information provided in the question asked and requires a much more complete context than is available in this public forum. BEFORE you say or do anything consult with an experienced Federal and/or state criminal defense attorney in your jurisdiction who will listen to you and your concerns.

Violent crime topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics