Skip to main content

Form N-400: Part 10, Section B: Affiliations How to fill and what's expected of the applicant to provide here?

Boston, MA |

I have been member in some professional and religious organizations. In my I-485 application (Adjustment of Status, employment based), I provided their abbreviated names so for example I wrote IEEE instead of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. I-485 asks name dates of memeberships and nature of the organization.

N-400 part 10: Section B on the other hand asks for just the names of organizations the applicant has ever belonged to, can I provide the same abbreviated names as I did on I-485 with little explanation in brackets, for example:

IEEE [Professional, Engineering]
ABC[Faith based community center]

Should membership to clubs like AAA or local wholesale club (BJs, CostCo, Sam's club) also needs to be disclosed here?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Generally you do want your forms to be consistent. It is not necessary to mention Sam's Club. It is best to consult an attorney.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.



Thanks for the response, I take that to mean that provide the same abbreviated form as was given on I-485. One more thing, I didn't provide the affiliations with the initial submission of I-485 (forgot it) but send a letter after that with all of them listed. I think that's immaterial now as the I-485 has already been approved and I have provided the information that I thought I had missed.


Generally, only professional memberships should be included. Not membership to AAA, etc.

Phone: 603-296-2222; Email: LawServe - 15 Stark St., Manchester, NH. The information provided is for informational purposes only, and is not to be construed as legal advice or a creation of an attorney/client relationship.



Professional doesn't mean engineering or management related? Could it include Toast Masters International or Rotary club. I'm not fully what may define "professional"? Is it related to technical in my case is it mainly engineering related?


I agree you do want your forms to be consistent.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.



I agree with that too. Here's where I'm struggling's just as easy for me to attach a sheet with the abbreviated as well as expanded names. Since in I-485 form, the question about associations/affiliations asked about the type of organization/group whereas N-400 simply asks for the name of the group and doesn't ask anything about the nature of the group, what it does etc. I don't want to volunteer more information that what's needed and will suffice meaning if names are asked then I should only provide names. For example AAA could mean American Automobile Association or Asian American Association, see Not sure if this overkill: Providing abbreviated as well as expanded names along with little bit two three word explanation, for example AAA - Asian American Association - Community Support group

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer