Skip to main content

Form I864

San Diego, CA |

Iam the petitioner but my friend is the sponsor, who should file form I864 me or my friend or both?

Im just a student so I don't make money to support.. so should my friend filed the form if he is the only one who can sponsor my mother? I filled the I-130

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    You should send 2( I-864 Form), one under your name and other under your friend's name (co-sponsor)

    Law Offices of Hasbini 619-200.8986. Free on phone and in office consultation.

  2. If you filed a visa petition for your mother, you need to file an I-864. Your friend can also sign one as a joint sponsor.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  3. Any petitioner must file an I-864, even if you have a co-sponsor.

    Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the inquirer. Avvo is a useful forum to obtain general information on legal issues, but is not a substitute for direct, confidential consultation with an attorney in any legal matter.

  4. Hello:

    Assuming you are a USC and over 21, you need to find a joint sponsor who is domiciled in the U.S. and is an LPR or USC and knows the consequences of being a joint sponsor.


    Brian D. Lerner
    Attorney at Law

    We have 3 offices over the State of California and an international office in the Philippines. We do 100% Immigration Law, have done nearly 5000 cases and can help you. Should you want an in depth consultation, please schedule one at or call 562-495-0554 or e-mail me directly at

  5. The petitioner is required to submit an I-864. If the petitioner cannot meet income levels to sponsor, a joint sponsor is possible. The joint sponsor has to meet the required income amount on his own and also would need an I-864.

    Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics